|English Definition|(名) As a noun
(动) As a verb
- The act of inspecting or verifying.
- A direct attack on an opponent's king.
- Obstructing an opponent in ice hockey.
- The act of restraining power or action or limiting excess.
- A textile pattern of squares or crossed lines (resembling a checkerboard).
- A mark left after a small piece has been chopped or broken off of something.
- Something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress.
- An appraisal of the state of affairs.
- Additional proof that something that was believed (some fact or hypothesis or theory) is correct.
- The bill in a restaurant.
- A mark indicating that something has been noted or completed etc..
- A written order directing a bank to pay money.
- The state of inactivity following an interruption.
- Become fractured; break or crack on the surface only.
- Make cracks or chinks in.
- Arrest the motion (of something) abruptly.
- Slow the growth or development of.
- Examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition.
- Put a check mark on or near or next to.
- Be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something.
- Verify by consulting a source or authority.
- Find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort.
- Write out a check on a bank account.
- Place into check.
- Hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of.
- Decline to initiate betting.
- Mark into squares or draw squares on; draw crossed lines on.
- Stop for a moment, as if out of uncertainty or caution.
- Stop in a chase especially when scent is lost.
- Abandon the intended prey, turn, and pursue an inferior prey.
- Hand over something to somebody as for temporary safekeeping.
- Consign for shipment on a vehicle.
- Lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits.
- Make an examination or investigation.
- Develop (children's) behavior by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control.
- Block or impede (a player from the opposing team) in ice hockey.
- Be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics.
|Part of Speech||(动) verb, (不及物的动) intransitive verb, (名) noun, (叹) interjection, (及物的动) transitive verb|