(Sorted by part of speech, numbered word sense.
May need to scroll content.)
(名) As a noun
(动) As a verb
- The act of changing one thing or position for another.
- A basketball maneuver; two defensive players shift assignments so that each guards the player usually guarded by the other.
- A flexible implement used as an instrument of punishment.
- Control consisting of a mechanical or electrical or electronic device for making or breaking or changing the connections in a circuit.
- Railroad track having two movable rails and necessary connections; used to turn a train from one track to another or to store rolling stock.
- Hairpiece consisting of a tress of false hair; used by women to give shape to a coiffure.
- An event in which one thing is substituted for another.
- Reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action).
- Change over, change around, as to a new order or sequence.
- Make a shift in or exchange of.
- Lay aside, abandon, or leave for another.
- Flog with or as if with a flexible rod.
- Cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation.
- Exchange or give (something) in exchange for.