Chinese Flashcards YellowBridge Chinese Flashcards
The YellowBridge Chinese Flashcards are designed to help students memorize as many Chinese characters as possible. They work just like the real world cardboard flashcards where a front side provides the prompt while a back side provides the correct answer. However, they also provide many advantages that are not possible in cardboard flashcards, such as instant dictionary reference, interactive pronunciation, and session statistics.
- Easy to use. No need to download any software. Extra large size prompt of Chinese characters.
- Unlike generic flashcards, our virtual card decks match each textbook chapter or word list for greater effectiveness with your lesson plan.
- Two modes:
- Study mode allows for easy review of the answers.
- Word recognition mode will prompt you with a Chinese character while the answer side will show all the appropriate details.
- You can study or review several word lists at a time, thus making it easier to review vocabulary from previous lessons.
- Support for both traditional and simplified Chinese characters, even on textbooks issued in only one of these forms.
- Session summary statistics help you measure your progress.
Premium FeaturesSubscription required
The Free Features are adequate for most users but the Premium Features provide additional options for even quicker memorization and ease of use. In addition to the free features:
- Words are linked to the YellowBridge Chinese English Dictionary for one-click access to word decomposition, character detail, character etymology, and animated stroke order.
- Words are pronounced interactively on your computer.
- Three additional modes:
- Word recall mode prompts you using a combination of pinyin, English, and/or Chinese speech to test your ability to recall Chinese characters. Recall requires a higher level of proficiency because it requires you to be able to write the character, not just recognize it. A must have for students who truly want to master writing, not just reading characters.
- Organize/print word list mode allows you to view the words as a list and and generate a printable word list for offline study. In conjunction with the Leitner system of flashcard review (see below), this mode can be used either before or after a review session to adjust the word difficulty levels or to omit a word from the list altogether.
- Print mode lets you print hardcopy flashcards on perforated business card paper (or regular paper) for offline study.
- The flashcard word review modes (study, recognition, and recall) include the widely recognized Leitner system of flashcard review. This means that each flashcard is automatically ranked into three levels of difficulty, on every session, based on the number of times you provide a correct or incorrect answer. Additionally, when you use any of the word review modes, you can exclude words based on their difficulty level, thus greatly increasing your word review efficiency and effectiveness, especially around exam time!.
- Word difficulty is maintained in your personal word inventory and used across all flashcards. This means that a word's difficulty is consistent even if you are studying from multiple textbooks or word lists. Separate difficulty levels are maintained for the recognition and the recall modes.
- Words you had difficulties remembering can be saved into a leftover pile and added to the next flashcard session. There is a separate pile for each book volume.
- Textbook lesson supplemental vocabularies are included.
- Intuitive keyboard shortcuts allow you to flip through the flashcards faster using just the arrow keys.